Spanish Paella Recipe – A Taste of Spain
My name is Pedro and I am the manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, I come from Spain and wanted to bring a Spanish feel to the hotel so along with my Head Chef Craig we decided to do a Spanish Themed evening once a week. Before we get into following the Spanish Paella recipe I would like to introduce Craig.
Our Head Chef Craig started at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel as a waiter back in 2006 and after working in our restaurant for a season he thought about becoming a chef. He moved into the kitchen in 2007 and started working as a breakfast chef but he wanted to further his experience and knowledge, so he left the hotel and worked in a number of other kitchens around North Devon, before rejoining the hotel in 2011 as head Chef.
Background to the Spanish Paella Recipe
Paella is normally cooked only with sea food and the original recipe comes from the Valencia area, but our recipe adds Chicken, this is based on an old family recipe from the centre of Spain. We also add tomato sauce as this gives the dish a smooth flavour. As for rice you could use any type, but the best type to use is what the Spanish people call “Arroz Bomba” (could be translated as “Bomb Rice” and is similar to Italian Risotto), however for our recipe we use Basmati Rice.
Our Spanish Paella Recipe will serve between 4 to 6 people, here are the ingredients you will need:
6 Chicken breasts or thighs
Freshly Ground Pepper
Olive Oil (enough to fry the Chicken)
Tomato puree (3 full dessert spoons)
100g Chorizo, chopped into cubes
1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 cloves of Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 litres of Chicken stock
1 teaspoon of Paprika
2 large pinches of Saffron
10 King Prawns
500g of Mussels
Red Pepper, finely chopped
500g Basmati Rice
- Heat a little Olive Oil in a large deep pan and fry the Chicken until golden on both sides.
- Then place the pieces of Chicken on a baking tray and put into the over for 30 minutes.
- Put the pan back on the heat, add the Onion, the Garlic, the Chorizo, the Red Pepper and the tomato puree.
- Cool slowly for about 20 minutes.
- Then add the rice and mix it for about 2-3 minutes and then add half of the Chicken stock and cook it for about 20 minutes.
- After that add the rest of the Chicken stock and cover the rice with it.
- Then add the Prawns, Musses, Saffron, Ground Pepper and Paprika and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked Chicken and serve it with a few slices of Lemon.
If you would like to sample more Spanish food, why not pop into Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel in Ilfracombe every Wednesday and try our supplemented menu based on Spanish food. Please ring 01271 863 505 to reserve a table.
Please feel free to ask Craig or myself any questions about our Spanish Paella recipe or the hotel, just leave us a comment in the box below.
3 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
- November 2014 (1)
- October 2014 (1)
- September 2014 (2)
- June 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (1)
- November 2013 (1)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (1)
- August 2013 (2)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (2)
- March 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (4)
- January 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (2)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (2)
- May 2012 (1)